Discover the Bright, Nutty Flavor of Golden Areca Nut (Areca catechu var. aureum)
( Plant Orders )
- Discover High-Quality Plants from Around the India with Kadiam Nursery
- Kadiam Nursery: Your Premier Destination for Wholesale Plant Orders
- Minimum Order of 50 Plants Required for Each Plant Variety
- Vehicle Arrangement for Plant Transport: No Courier Service Available
- Global Shipping Made Easy with Kadiam Nursery: Order Your Favorite Plants Today
Please Note: Plant Variations May Occur Due to Natural Factors - Trust Kadiam Nursery for Reliable Quality.
- Common name:
- Golden Areca Nut, Yellow Supari
- Regional name:
- Marathi - Piwli Supari; Hindi - Peeli Supari; Gujarati - Supari; Kannada - Adika; Tamil - Pakku; Telugu - Vakka; Malayalam - Kamugu,Adakka, Sanskrit - Poogiphalam,
- Palms and Cycads, Fruit Plants, Trees
- Palmae or Coconut family
Introduction to the Yellow Supari Tree
Yellow Supari, also known as the Areca Nut Palm or Betel Nut, is a tropical palm tree native to Southeast Asia. The tree is primarily grown for its seeds, which are harvested and consumed as a popular stimulant and cultural symbol in various parts of the world.
Plantation and Growing Conditions
- Climate and Location: Yellow Supari trees thrive in tropical and subtropical regions, with temperatures between 68-95°F (20-35°C). They require high humidity, ample sunlight, and protection from strong winds.
- Soil Requirements: The trees prefer well-draining, fertile soil with a pH between 6.0 and 6.5. They can tolerate a range of soil types, from sandy loam to clay.
- Propagation: Yellow Supari trees are typically propagated through seeds or tissue culture. Seedlings should be transplanted when they reach about 1 foot (30 cm) in height.
- Spacing and Planting: Plant the seedlings in holes about 1.5-2 feet (45-60 cm) deep, spaced 15-20 feet (4.5-6 meters) apart to allow for proper growth.
Care and Maintenance
- Watering: The Yellow Supari tree requires regular watering, especially during the first few years. Ensure the soil is consistently moist, but not waterlogged.
- Fertilization: Apply a balanced fertilizer, such as N-P-K 10-10-10, every 3-4 months to promote healthy growth and good fruit yield.
- Pruning: Regularly prune dead or diseased leaves and fronds to maintain the tree's health and appearance. Remove the flower stalks after fruiting to encourage new growth.
- Pest and Disease Management: Monitor the tree for common pests like mites, scale insects, and caterpillars. Use organic or chemical control methods if needed. Be vigilant about diseases such as leaf spot and root rot; proper sanitation and care can prevent most issues.
Benefits of Yellow Supari Tree
- Cultural Significance: The Yellow Supari plays an essential role in many Asian and Pacific Islander cultures, where it is used in religious ceremonies and as a symbol of hospitality.
- Economic Value: The nuts of the Yellow Supari tree are harvested and sold as a valuable cash crop in many countries.
- Stimulant Properties: When chewed, the Areca nut produces a mild stimulant effect, resulting in increased alertness and reduced fatigue.
- Medicinal Uses: Although Areca nuts have been traditionally used for their antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and digestive properties, their regular consumption has been linked to serious health concerns, including oral cancer and addiction.