Brighten Your Garden with the Radiant Jacobina Yellow Plant (Justicia aurea)
( Plant Orders )
- Discover High-Quality Plants from Around the India with Kadiam Nursery
- Kadiam Nursery: Your Premier Destination for Wholesale Plant Orders
- Minimum Order, Maximum Convenience: Get Plants Shipped to Your Doorstep with Kadiam Nursery
- Vehicle Arrangement for Plant Transport: No Courier Service Available
- Global Shipping Made Easy with Kadiam Nursery: Order Your Favorite Plants Today
Please Note: Plant Variations May Occur Due to Natural Factors - Trust Kadiam Nursery for Reliable Quality.
- Common name:
- Jacobina Yellow
- Regional name:
- Marathi - Jacobina Yellow
- Acanthaceae or Crossandra or Thunbergia family
Justicia aurea, also known as Yellow Jacobinia or Golden Plume, is an attractive flowering plant native to Central and South America. This plant is well-known for its striking yellow flowers and lush green foliage, making it a popular choice for gardens and indoor spaces. In this guide, we will cover everything you need to know about growing, caring for, and enjoying the benefits of Justicia aurea.
- Scientific name: Justicia aurea
- Family: Acanthaceae
- Native range: Central and South America
- Growth habit: Evergreen shrub
- Height: 6-10 feet (1.8-3 meters)
- Foliage: Opposite, ovate to lanceolate leaves, 3-6 inches (8-15 cm) long
- Flowers: Tubular yellow flowers in dense terminal spikes, 6-12 inches (15-30 cm) long
- Bloom time: Year-round, with a peak in spring and summer
- Hardiness zones: USDA 9-11
- Light: Full sun to partial shade
- Soil: Well-draining, fertile, and slightly acidic to neutral (pH 6.0-7.0)
- Water: Regular watering, keeping the soil consistently moist but not soggy
- Temperature: Prefers temperatures between 60-85°F (15-29°C)
Planting and Propagation
- Seeds: Sow seeds in a well-draining seed mix, maintaining a temperature of 70-75°F (21-24°C). Keep the soil moist until germination, which takes 2-4 weeks.
- Cuttings: Take 4-6 inch (10-15 cm) stem cuttings from a healthy plant. Remove the lower leaves and dip the cut end in rooting hormone. Plant the cuttings in a well-draining mix and keep them moist until roots develop, typically within 4-6 weeks.
Care and Maintenance
- Pruning: Prune regularly to maintain the desired shape and size, removing any dead or damaged branches. Pruning also encourages bushier growth and more flowers.
- Fertilizing: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in early spring and late summer, following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Pests and Diseases: Justicia aurea is relatively pest-resistant but can be susceptible to aphids, spider mites, and whiteflies. Use insecticidal soap or neem oil to control infestations. Watch out for fungal diseases like leaf spot and root rot; ensure proper air circulation and avoid over-watering.
Benefits and Uses
- Ornamental: Justicia aurea is a stunning addition to gardens and landscapes, providing a burst of color with its vibrant yellow flowers. It can be grown as a specimen plant, in mixed borders, or as a container plant for patios and balconies.
- Attracts Pollinators: The tubular flowers attract hummingbirds, butterflies, and other pollinators, promoting biodiversity in your garden.
- Air Purification: As an indoor plant, Justicia aurea helps purify the air by removing pollutants and improving air quality.
Conclusion Justicia aurea is a beautiful and versatile plant that brings a touch of the tropics to any setting. By following this comprehensive guide, you can ensure that your Golden Plume thrives and provides a stunning display of vibrant yellow flowers for years to come.