Sesbania grandiflora rubra, Agati grandiflora rubra,Sesban, Vegetable Hummingbird, Red Wisteria
( Plant Orders )
- Discover High-Quality Plants from Around the India with Kadiam Nursery
- Kadiam Nursery: Your Premier Destination for Wholesale Plant Orders
- Minimum Order of 50 Plants Required for Each Plant Variety
- Vehicle Arrangement for Plant Transport: No Courier Service Available
- Global Shipping Made Easy with Kadiam Nursery: Order Your Favorite Plants Today
Please Note: Plant Variations May Occur Due to Natural Factors - Trust Kadiam Nursery for Reliable Quality.
- Common name:
- Sesban, Vegetable Hummingbird, Red Wisteria
- Regional name:
- Marathi - Hathga, Bengali - Bak, Gujarati - Agathio, Hindi - Basna, Kannada - Agase-mara, Malayalam - Agatti, Sanskrit - Agastyah, Tamil - Akatti, Telugu - Avisechettu, Urdu - Agast
- Trees, Vegetable, Medicinal Plants, Shrubs
- Leguminosae or Fabaceae or Pea family
- Sun growing, Semi shade
- Normal, Can tolerate less, Can tolerate more
- Primarily grown for:
- Flowers, Foliage
- Flowering season:
- Year-around flowering, Flowers in flushes throughout the year
- Flower or Inflorescence color:
- Foliage color:
- Plant Height or length:
- 4 to 6 meters
- Plant Spread or Width:
- 2 to 4 meters
- Plant Form:
- Upright or Erect
- Estimated Life Span:
- More than 2 years
Sesbania grandiflora, commonly known as the "large flowered sesbania," "great sesbania," or "vegetable hummingbird," is a species of flowering plant in the pea family, Fabaceae. It is native to tropical and subtropical Asia, and is widely cultivated in other regions. The red form of this plant is known as Sesbania grandiflora var. grandiflora 'Rubra'.
Sesbania grandiflora is a fast-growing, deciduous tree that can reach a height of 20-30 feet. The leaves are compound, with multiple small leaflets. The flowers are large, bright red, and arranged in clusters. The tree is drought tolerant and can grow in various soil types, also tolerate light frost. Flowers of this plant provide a source of nectar for bees and hummingbirds, and it also has medicinal properties for many cultures.
Sesbania grandiflora 'Rubra' is often used as an ornamental tree or as a shade tree in tropical and subtropical regions. It is also used for reforestation and as a component of agroforestry systems. The plant is also used as a source of wood, fiber, and medicine, and the seeds are edible.
Cultivation: The tree prefers full sun, but can tolerate light shade. It is drought-tolerant and can grow in a wide range of soil types, but prefers well-draining, nutrient-rich soil. It should be fertilized regularly, with a balanced fertilizer and prune to control the size and shape.
Propagation: The seeds are collected from the pods after the plant has flowered and dried on the plant. The seeds should be planted immediately, or stored in a cool, dry place for later planting. They can also be propagated by stem cuttings or air-layering.
Sesbania grandiflora 'Rubra' is a fast-growing, deciduous tree that is relatively easy to care for. Here are some tips for growing and caring for this plant:
- Light: The tree prefers full sun, but can tolerate light shade.
- Soil: Sesbania grandiflora can grow in a wide range of soil types, but prefers well-draining, nutrient-rich soil.
- Watering: The tree is drought-tolerant and can survive with minimal watering, but will grow faster and produce more flowers with regular watering.
- Fertilizer: The tree should be fertilized regularly with a balanced fertilizer.
- Pruning: Prune the tree regularly to control its size and shape. This will also help promote bushier growth.
- Pest and Diseases: Sesbania grandiflora is generally resistant to pests and diseases, but can be affected by scale insects, aphids, and spider mites. Watch out for these and take action if they become a problem.
Also, this plant can tolerate light frost but it is not cold hardy in places with severe winter weather, so it is best to protect the plant with burlap or other coverings during frost or freeze.
Finally, the tree will bloom in late spring to early fall, but with proper care and attention, this tree can be a great addition to any garden or landscape.
Sesbania grandiflora 'Rubra' is a plant with many benefits and uses. Some of the most notable benefits of this plant include:
Ornamental value: The large, bright red flowers of Sesbania grandiflora 'Rubra' are very striking and make it a popular ornamental tree. It is often used as a shade tree or as a decorative element in tropical and subtropical gardens and landscapes.
Agroforestry: The tree can be used as a component of agroforestry systems, providing shade and food for livestock, and enriching the soil with its nitrogen-fixing capabilities.
Reforestation: Sesbania grandiflora 'Rubra' is used for reforestation and erosion control due to its fast growth and tolerance of poor soil.
Medicine: The tree has medicinal properties and is used in traditional medicine for treating various ailments such as fever, inflammation, and diarrhea, this plant have been traditionally used as a remedy for wounds, skin diseases, rheumatism, asthma, and malaria.
Food: The seeds of Sesbania grandiflora 'Rubra' are edible and are used in various dishes.
Pollinator: The tree also provides a source of nectar for bees and hummingbirds and other pollinators, which are important for maintaining healthy ecosystems and producing food crops.
Fuel and Fiber: The plant is also used as a source of wood and fiber, it is planted as hedge, as live fence and windbreak as well.
Overall, Sesbania grandiflora 'Rubra' is a versatile plant that offers many benefits for different aspects of human life.