Tamarix aphylla, T. articulata,Athel Tamarisk, Smoke Bush
( Plant Orders )
- Discover High-Quality Plants from Around the India with Kadiam Nursery
- Kadiam Nursery: Your Premier Destination for Wholesale Plant Orders
- Minimum Order, Maximum Convenience: Get Plants Shipped to Your Doorstep with Kadiam Nursery
- Vehicle Arrangement for Plant Transport: No Courier Service Available
- Global Shipping Made Easy with Kadiam Nursery: Order Your Favorite Plants Today
Please Note: Plant Variations May Occur Due to Natural Factors - Trust Kadiam Nursery for Reliable Quality.
- Common name:
- Athel Tamarisk, Smoke Bush
- Shrubs, Trees
- Sun growing, Semi shade
- Normal, Can tolerate less
- Primarily grown for:
- Flowering season:
- August, September, October
- Flower or Inflorescence color:
- Foliage color:
- Plant Height or length:
- 4 to 6 meters
- Plant Spread or Width:
- 2 to 4 meters
- Plant Form:
- Irregular, Spreading
- Plant Description:
- Tamarix aphylla, also known as Tamarisk or Athel Tamarisk, is a species of tamarisk, a salt-tolerant shrub or tree native to the arid regions of Africa and Asia. The plant can grow to be up to 20 feet tall and has thin, pencil-like branches that are covered in small, needle-like leaves. The flowers are small and pink to white in color, and the plant produces small, round fruit. Tamarix aphylla is tolerant of poor soils, high salinity, and extreme temperatures, making it well-suited to grow in desert environments. The plant is also known for its ability to survive in areas with high water salinity.
- Growing tips:
Tamarix aphylla is a hardy plant that is relatively easy to care for. Here are some tips for growing Tamarix aphylla:
Sunlight: Tamarix aphylla prefers full sun, but can tolerate some shade.
Soil: The plant is tolerant of a wide range of soils, including sandy, rocky, and clay soils. However, it prefers well-drained soil. It can tolerate high levels of salt in soil.
Watering: Tamarix aphylla is drought-tolerant, and once established, the plant only needs to be watered occasionally. During extended periods of drought, the plant may lose some leaves, but it will recover when water is available again.
Fertilizer: Tamarix aphylla is not particular about fertilizer, but it can benefit from an application of a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer once a year.
Pruning: Tamarix aphylla can grow into a large bush or small tree, pruning can be done to control the size and shape. But it's not essential.
Cold tolerance: Tamarix aphylla is cold tolerant, it can survive in the winter, hardy in USDA zones 6 to 11
It's important to note that it is a salt tolerant, drought tolerant and invasive in some areas, check the regulations in your area before planting it.
Tamarix aphylla has a number of benefits. Some of the most notable benefits include:
Drought tolerance: Tamarix aphylla is highly drought-tolerant and can survive in arid environments with little water.
Salt tolerance: Tamarix aphylla is able to grow in soils with high salt levels and can help to stabilize and prevent erosion in coastal areas.
Wind resistance: The plant has a strong root system and can withstand strong winds and sandstorms.
Soil improvement: It can also improve poor soils and increases soil organic matter, it is an important component of natural desert ecosystems
Wildlife habitat: The plant provides food and habitat for a variety of wildlife, including birds, which can use its small branches to build nests, insects and other small animals.
Ornamental use: Tamarix aphylla is used in landscaping and gardening as an ornamental plant due to its attractive shape and delicate pink or white flowers.
It is also used in revegetation and rehabilitation of degraded landscapes, is also planted as a windbreak and soil stabilizer in sandy and coastal areas.